Subject: Re: [boost] [git workflow questions for boost]
From: Thomas Suckow (thomas.suckow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-25 12:35:23

On 06/25/2014 09:18 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> But I have a couple of questions about this.
>
> I currently have modular boost installed on my machine. It seems that I
> want to:
>
> delete the module in question.
> clone to the same spot I just deleted.
> do everything above.
> delete the module again.
> clone from the original? update super project? rerun b2 headers? what? - I'm
> sort of at a loss here.
>
> I'm sort of uncomfortable with deleting the "official" version - but it
> seems the right think to do.

If I understand your workflow correctly, I believe what you want to do is:

* Checkout develop on module <- important as by default you are on detached head
* Make your changes / commits
* Fork on github if you have not already
* Add a new remote to the module in question (Using another name (your username?) instead of origin)
   https://help.github.com/articles/adding-a-remote
* git push new_remote develop
* Submit pull request

After the pull request is accepted you may do the following if you want:
* Pull / fetch / reset back to origin develop once pull request accepted (pulling the boost super project may also work)
* Optionally delete your repo/remote (I personally leave them in case I will submit a new request again)

I am mostly listing this from memory, so take a grain of salt.

-
Thomas