Subject: Re: [boost] [1.56] Getting the release back on track - build errors
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-05 09:01:17

On Wednesday 02 July 2014 19:28:07 John Maddock wrote:
> There are several build errors when building current master, for this
> test I used Mingw64:
>
> * Thread fails to build complaining about missing
> boost/utility/detail/result_of_iterate.hpp, this is a result of:
>
> #define BOOST_PP_ITERATION_PARAMS_1
> (3,(0,BOOST_RESULT_OF_NUM_ARGS,<boost/utility/detail/result_of_iterate.hpp>)
> )
>
> In boost/utility/result_of.hpp, we could presumably fix this by adding a
> dependency that Boost.Build can actually track to this header.
> Presumably we should do the same for all header iterations?
> * There is no mention of the "b2 headers" option from "b2 --help".
>
> Question - I assume that if folks do a library-specific install then we
> *don't* want to install all headers? Can we achieve that and yet make
> the equivalent of "b2 headers" happen if folks do a build all?

For reference, there is this pull request:

https://github.com/boostorg/utility/pull/17

with the relevant discussion.

To my understanding, 1.56 will be a non-modular release which means that the
distributed archives will include the complete boost/ directory along with all
libraries. Therefore users won't need to invoke 'b2 headers' themselves to be
able to build and use Boost. Is my understanding correct?