Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost Library Incubator] Unable to submit library
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-20 02:03:35

Edward Diener-3 wrote
> On 7/19/2014 5:22 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>> Coincidentally I was tweaking this area of the web site - should be OK
>> now.
>>
>> I also fixed up the links in the form -
>
> How did you figure out to setup all those links ? Was all that available
> to me on GitHub but I did not realize it ?

yep

>> For those who prefer instant gratification (as I do), I fixed the
>> documentation link to point to the master branch html documentation.
>> Browsable html documentation is a requirement of the web site.
>
> Where did that string come from ? It works beautifully but I have no
> idea from where that gets generated.

I forgot where I found that. I copied the link from Safe Numerics then
altered it to point to your documentation. BTW, if you want your docs
to look like boost ones, all you have to do is add the appropriate *.css
and image files to the html directory. Again, check safe numerics to
see how this works.

>> I fixed up the issues to point to the issues page for this library in Git
>> hub.
>
> That I can see on the GitHub sight. Am I supposed to fill that out myself
> ?

What I do is invoke the issues from the git hub website and copy the URL.
Then I paste this URL into the submission form

>> I fixed up the download link to point to the github created *.zip file.
>
> How did you generate that zip file on GitHub ?

same as above

>> So you should be in business - good luck with this.
>
> Thanks very much ! Evidently I have no idea all those facilities were
> available on GitHub, evidently somewhere.

The whole idea of the incubator is to provide a uniform facade to all the
facilities that a boost library needs with the minimal disruption possible.
So if one already has his own trac equivalent, he can just point to that.
I started this before we made a big commitment to git. It was a happy
coincidence that it is a good match.

>> Though not strictly a requirement, consider implementing the test
>> dashboard.
>> Different authors have addressed this in various ways. Look at my advice
>> how to do it and and look at other authors usage of continuous
>> integration
>> websites.
>
> I have tests for the library that run under modular boost in the test
> subdirectory using bjam/Boost Build. Is the test dashboard connected to
> those tests somehow ?

I struggled with this. The website requires tests for a library to be
included
but there was no obvious way to get something like the boost test matrix
without turning this thing into a really big job. Also any system I might
run wouldn't scale.

After a lot of time learning to understand CMake, I got it working to my
taste for safe numerics and wrote the instructions in my Simple Tools
advice. I prefer this to boost build for a number of reasons - not the
least
of which it creates a project in my IDE. It also permits. CMake can
create a project which posts the results to a test dashboard which they
run on their own website. I've described how to do it in the documentation.
I like this because it lets those who use a library to test it in their own
environment
and post the results to this common area. It means that the platforms being
used is the same set as platforms being tested. And it's totally scalable!
And
it zero work for me or anyone else.

Other libraries such as AFIO have used some "continuous integration"
websites
with what looks like good success. Pretty soon I'll lean on the authors to
write
a page with instructions (for dummies) on how to set it up. You can see
this
in action by clicking on the test dashboard link for AFIO, DI and others.

The fact that I was able to put all this together with relatively little
effort
suggests to me that we're at the dawn of a new era for boost. One where
it's much easier to get a library ready for review without sacrificing our
standards. Lets hope so anyway.