Subject: Re: [boost] quince: queries in C++ expressions
From: Michael Shepanski (mps_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-20 23:39:34

On 21/07/2014 12:40 PM, Gavin Lambert wrote:

> Speaking for myself, here, but nowadays I punt things like database
> access to C# code, where just about everything is trivial (there's
> libraries for everything, and even if you want to hand-roll the SQL
> you can make a basic bare-persistence ORM in less than a page of code).
>
> Which isn't to say that I wouldn't be thrilled if there were a good
> C++ database library. It's just that historically there hasn't been
> (to my knowledge), and I haven't minded that all that much because I
> usually regard C++ as useful for high-performance code and integration
> with third-party native libraries, and C# as useful for everything else.
>
> Now excuse me while I don my flame-retardant coat, for daring to post
> such things in a C++ mailing list. ;)

No flames from me: I don't know C# so I can't participate in any C# vs.
C++ thing.

It sounds like you use C# for the bulk of your programming, and only
break out into C++ for special purposes, so it's fair enough that you
don't want to access a database from C++.

Quince is designed for people who treat C++ as their home, and one of
its purposes is to save them the trouble of going outdoors. I dare say
that the same applies to sqlpp11.

Quince also has another purpose (and this is also for people who treat
C++ as their home): it allows them to rethink the boundary of what is
"database access". By making it easy to use the DBMS's data-processing
features, in C++ syntax and with C++ data types, it lets a C++
programmer continually renegotiate the division of labour between the
DBMS and his application. It may be that a programmer already has a
solution for what he calls "database access" today, but maybe the
boundary of his "database access" would shift if he had a different tool.

Regards,
--- Michael