Subject: Re: [boost] quince: queries in C++ expressions
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-21 00:01:25

On 21/07/2014 15:39, Michael Shepanski wrote:
> It sounds like you use C# for the bulk of your programming, and only
> break out into C++ for special purposes, so it's fair enough that you
> don't want to access a database from C++.

Actually we probably have as much (if not more) C++ code as C# code.
But they're fairly well divided by layer, so the more user-facing parts
tend to be C# while the internals tend to be C++ (especially the
high-perf parts). And at least in my domain, databases count as mostly
user-facing. (I realise that will not apply to everyone.)

(Also it's a long-established C++03 codebase, which is only just now
starting to get some C++11isms creeping in. Meanwhile the C# code has
been enjoying the power of lambdas and asynchronous code for many years,
which no doubt has partially contributed to the perceived ease of C#
programming.)

> Quince is designed for people who treat C++ as their home, and one of
> its purposes is to save them the trouble of going outdoors. I dare say
> that the same applies to sqlpp11.

And like I said, that's a wonderful goal and I applaud both of you for
aiming for it. I was just trying to address that specific question of
why more people hadn't done so in the past, with at least one possible
explanation.