Subject: Re: [boost] Use of third-party libraries
From: Karsten Ahnert (karsten.ahnert_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-23 09:11:11

On 23.07.2014 13:14, Michael Shepanski wrote:
> On one hand, there's this:
>
> "A Boost library *should not* use libraries other than Boost or the
> C++ Standard Library."
> (http://www.boost.org/development/reuse.html)
>
> On the other hand, sometimes it just seems like common sense. E.g.
> Boost.Math uses NTL, MPFR, and others.
>
> Now I'm trying to get quince and its backend libraries
> (quince_postgresql, quince_sqlite) into shape for blincubator. The job
> of the backends is to liaise between quince and other people's
> libraries: libpq and sqlite3. There is no getting around that. So I was
> hoping that the prohibition would be waived in this case, as it was in
> the case of Boost.Math.
>
> The trouble I have is that quince_postgresql and quince_sqlite are *not*
> header-only, and their code that calls libpq and sqlite3 is in .cpp
> files. And yet I don't want them to break the boost build for people who
> don't need this stuff, and haven't installed either or both of those
> third-party libraries.
>
> Any suggestions? Any precedents?

We have in odeint several adapters for several third party libraries.
None of these adapters is build or tested during a normal boost build,
but you can use them manually or test them manually.

I think if you use a similar policy there shouldn't be any problems.
Maybe you can even ship sqlite (I think it is only one source file) and
use sqlite it as a default backend. Of course the licence of sqlite must
then be compatible with the boost license.