Subject: Re: [boost] Help about boost library x64 used in the LibLas tools
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-25 20:09:02

On 07/25/2014 05:21 PM, Luca Nardelli wrote:
> Helo to all,
> thanks a LOT for your great work!
>
> I'm trying to use the x64 library for VS 2013 (12), but I have a lot of
> "unresolved errors" when I try to compile the *LibLas *library that uses
> boost.
>
> For example I get this error:
>
> *error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "class
> boost::system::error_category const & __cdecl
> boost::system::system_category(void)"
> (?system_category_at_system@boost@@YAAEBVerror_category_at_12@XZ)*
>

> Could you maybe help me or give some hint?

The boost-users list or at a LibLas related forum is probably better
place s to ask about this. But it seems you need to link with
boost_system library. This is something your build system should set
up. I see from https://github.com/libLAS/libLAS that the build of libLAS
is cmake based, so if that is what you are using, you should see
something like this:

-- Searching for Boost 1.38+ - done
-- Boost version: 1.56.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
-- program_options
-- thread
-- system
-- iostreams
-- filesystem

when you run cmake, if cmake find the boost libraries. The

-- system

line indicate that cmake found a compatible pre-built boost_system
library. This is probably not working, as you need to tell cmake where
it can find boost libraries. As you got to the linking stage, cmake did
find the boost include path used when compiling. So I am guessing you
downloaded boost source tree and did not build it using the correct
command to b2, or you have installed boost for a different compiler
version. See the getting started guide for
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_55_0/more/getting_started/windows.html#get-boost

Alternatively, as comment in
https://github.com/libLAS/libLAS/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt
suggest, you may want to use the boost windows installers, these are now
found at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost-binaries/1.55.0/

Note also the comment in boost 1.55 release notes
http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_55_0.html
about "Known Bugs with Visual Studio 2013/Visual C++ 12"

The 1.56 release is expected soon, there is beta version available if
you like to try it out
http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_56_0.html

--
Bjørn