Subject: Re: [boost] Showstopper for Boost 1.56?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-29 20:48:58

On 7/29/2014 8:17 AM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2014 at 13:41, Marc Glisse wrote:
>
>>> Yes, clang has a lot more warning. Which ones did you enable?

>>> gcc is lacking some warnings.
>>
>> The main warnings I see here are about C99 macros (empty or variadic). gcc
>> also has those warnings, but they are useless enough that it doesn't
>> enable them by default.
>
> Firstly I didn't see these warnings in Boost 1.55. Something has
> changed.
>
> I think we all agree that 23Mb of warnings spew per build using Boost
> 1.56 with clang is unacceptable for release. Either
> Boost.Preprocessor needs fixing, or clang toolset builds explicitly
> need to add -Wno-c99-extensions to every Boost build.

The change that was made in Preprocessor is that variadic macros support
is turned on for clang by default. I made this change after a number of
complaints from users compiling with clang and after verifying that
clang has always had variadic macro support.

I do realize that clang will spit out lots of warnings, so maybe making
this change was not a good idea on a practical level.