Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] [Boost.Hana] Formal review request
From: Eric Niebler (eniebler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-30 13:02:31

On 7/30/2014 9:10 AM, pfultz2 wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 4:19 PM, Louis Dionne wrote:
>> Hana is fundamentally functional, it uses rather abstract concepts
>> and that's what makes it so powerful. Truth is, "Sequence" and
>> "Container" concepts are easy to understand but they only get you
>> so far; they are not general enough to be used as building blocks.
>
> I believe Alex Stepanov would like to have a word with you ;)

"Container" isn't really a concept in the STL. "Iterator" is. And the
concept of iterator was derived from studying runtime algorithms as
executed by hardware. There's no reason to think that studying
compile-time algorithms as executed by modern C++ compilers would lead
to the same abstractions.

\e