Subject: Re: [boost] Understanding Jam Files
From: Michael Shepanski (mps_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-01 00:43:22

On 1/08/2014 12:31 PM, Steven Watanabe wrote:
> <address-model> is left blank unless it's explicitly
> specified by the user. I believe the way it's handled is
> - if address-model is specified, then pass whatever
> flags you need to the compiler
> - otherwise, use the compiler's default.
>
> If you always want this flag or you always want it for a specific toolset,

That's me. I always want it for msvc on my own machine.

> then I suppose it makes sense to set in in user-config.jam.

How do I do that? I tried:
     using msvc : : : <address-model>64 ;
to no effect.

[Off topic rant: over the last couple of days I have suffered the cruel
and unusual punishments that microsoft has devised for people who build
for 32-bits and run on 64-bits. The code runs okay for a while, and then
fails as soon as it gets a chance to present as a really "interesting"
bug involving virtual inheritance. Then you try your chances in the
Visual Studio debugger, which says that no RTTI data is present, when it
really means that it doesn't allow watches that depend on RTTI, but you
take it at its word as you run around in circles saying "Who turned off
RTTI support?".]

--- Michael