Subject: Re: [boost] [mpl] Proceeding with modularization
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-19 14:45:05

On 8/19/2014 6:56 AM, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that 1.56 is out I believe we can proceed with modularization. I'd like to
> complete Boost.MPL decomposition into Boost.MPL.Core and Boost.MPL that I
> started some time ago. I can see two ways of doing this: I can keep the two
> parts in the separate git repositories or I can move Boost.MPL.Core to a sub-
> library within the same git repo. I'd prefer the second approach since this
> allows to create a single pull request and keeps the library history in one
> place, but maybe there are other considerations?

It would really be nice if we could cleanup MPL and get rid of all he
hacks/workarounds for old compilers that nobody should be using anymore.
Stephen Kelly attempted to do this on his own git branch but was voted
down from getting this on to 'develop' and I similarly tried to promote
his changes to 'develop' but was voted down. It is really trying to do
much of anything with MPL if all of this old stuff stays around forever.
Just reading the code and understanding it, in the face of these hacks
is a real trial, much less changing anything. Good luck separating MPL
into MPL.Core and MPL with this code still around !