Subject: Re: [boost] [move][unique_ptr] c++14 unique_ptr comes to town
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-23 18:43:15

El 23/08/2014 23:47, Adam Wulkiewicz escribió:

> AFAIS this is in line with the Boost.SmartPtr library, e.g. shared_ptr
> and make_shared aren't included together, correct me if I'm wrong. The
> difference is that make_shared doesn't emulate variadic templates using
> Boost.PP. And there is an implementation of boost::make_unique returning
> std::unique_ptr<> so I'm guessing that there may be a problem with
> backward compatibility.

<nod> I didn't notice that. An alternative to maintain backwards
compatibility is to change header and function names. But I noticed
those headers are from January 2014, released only in Boost 1.56. I
doubt the change will break much user code. If backwards compatibility
is not required we could somehow try to inform users that they should
not use it and replace it in Boost 1.57. That's something we should
decide ASAP. And release Boost 1.57 ASAP too ;-)

In any case I think some functions from current make_unique.hpp, like
"make_unique_noinit", can be useful, specially when allocating big
memory buffers of POD types users don't need to value initialize.

Best,

Ion