Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Formal review period for VMD library begins today, Aug 21, and ends Sat, Aug 30
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-23 21:51:08

On 23 Aug 2014 at 11:23, Agustín K-ballo Bergé wrote:

> On 23/08/2014 09:21 a.m., Niall Douglas wrote:
> > C++ Modules is expected to obsolete macro programming, in fact
> > eliminating macros completely from interface files is one of its
> > chief goals. It tells you all about it in its TS.
>
> That's a bit hard to believe, I fail to see the relation. Could you
> point us to the proposal that states this? (as far as I know, there is
> no Modules TS, not even a draft)

Apologies, I thought the TS out by now. I spent a whole night at C++
Now talking with Gaby and Chandler about Modules, and what Microsoft
and clang have learned about them, and I had thought Richard Smith's
significant progress would enable a timely Modules TS.

You are right that the situation is rather more fluid that my hard
assertion above, which was based solely on the WG21 Modules papers.
There are currently three C++ Modules proposals on the table, two of
which have the most weight.

One of those is the most recent paper from the Modules SG which is
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2014/n4047.pdf and
which talks at length about the importance of limiting macros.

Gaby's paper doesn't go as far in its anti-macro crusade as the much
older N3347
(http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3347.pdf)
where how the compiler can synthesise interface files written in a
C++-lite IDL from existing header files for you. The implication, of
course, is that interface files are a sort of macro expanded header
file, and you would need to supply an additional header separate from
the interface with any macros needed (with a strong hint this is only
for C code or legacy C++). The key feature of interface files is that
within them macros have no effect i.e. are not expanded in interface
files i.e. the preprocessor is not invoked before their parsing
because they aren't written in C++, rather in a C++-like IDL.

Gaby's paper rows back on this proposal significantly. Under his
proposal, you simply wrap up the stuff you wish to export with an
export scope rather like C# and .NET does it. Macros are explicitly
defined to not be able to traverse between module boundaries, but
because the export scope is basically a specially marked namespace
and can appear anywhere, macros can be expanded during the interface
export. Gaby's proposal is basically an "opt in at source code level"
proposal as in you need to go retrofit your code, whereas the earlier
N3347 has the compiler separate out interface files into their own
reduced subset of C++ language, with the idea that existing headers
are simply auto-converted to equivalent module IDL files. I'm not
much keen on this proposal, and I said so to Gaby, because it's
basically a superior __declspec(dllexport) and whilst a definite
advance, I think we can go a lot further and do better.

Now, the above two are the "easy" Modules proposals. The much more
fun Modules proposal, and probably more representative of what is
coming given it will be one standard practice, is clang's already
somewhat working C++ Modules
(http://clang.llvm.org/docs/Modules.html) which is based on a
meta-header script called module maps which add the metadata above
and beyond headers to say how they are to be combined into
interfaces. This is an "opt in at the build level" proposal, so
you'll be adding extra script to build to tell clang what a module
interface is, and that sort of is a set of filters and rules for how
to combine effectively precompiled headers into one enormous database
of all precompiled compilands. Modules, therefore, become simply a
database view.

clang's is a truly "full fat" Modules implementation that intends to
solve the ODR violation problem, and where you can have, coexisting,
multiple definitions of macros /at the same time/ and a complex set
of rules will determine the default macro your code uses at the point
of use (those are listed on the clang modules page as they've already
been defined for C). If this sounds exactly like Exported Templates,
that's because it is very similar, and the ODR violation resolution
rules look very similar (indeed as Chandler semi-joked, clang may
just implement exported templates anyway for the fun of it, despite
that they have no useful use, because it's such a small bit of extra
work after Modules so why not?).

In case you might wonder why clang bites this thorn bush so hard, it
is because it's probably the best long term option. It certainly
makes combining Reflection and Modules straightforward, something
Gaby's proposal would simply have to say that Reflection cannot
traverse a Module boundary, and the earlier EDG proposal explicitly
says that nothing traverses a Modules partition, not symbols, macros,
nothing.

So, to give a full and proper answer, yes the WG21 papers say no to
macros in interfaces, but the recent trend is not in that direction
at all [1]. Indeed, if clang's modules become C++ Modules, you get
all the true joy and power of C macro processing in all imported
modules at once. Let us #define return and #define int and have lots
of fun. Yay.

[1]: For transparency, I am not in favour of this trend. I like the
JIT nature of compiling C++ as you make possible clang compiling code
as you type, which is cool, and skips the whole compilation step, if
not linking. But I think interfaces as a contract rather than a
database query are useful for ABI stable SDKs etc, and clang modules
doesn't address that. In fairness, clang modules explicitly says it
is not meant to in its docs, it's really there as a whole new
generation of database driven compile-and-link from wholly
precompiled everything, which is an even further dilution of the
original promise of Modules :(

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting