Subject: Re: [boost] [process] [sorting] [singularity] [compute] [others] Who needs review manager?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-10 12:55:35

On 10 Sep 2014 at 20:00, Antony Polukhin wrote:

> > I would just love to have you manage the review of AFIO.
> > Unfortunately, I am just about to begin its monadic continuations
> > framework which integrates ASIO, AFIO, future-promises and
> > expected<T, E> into one, so I suspect that work will transform any
> > review of AFIO significantly.
>
> I'd gladly manage the review of AFIO.
>
> When I was looking through the sources of AFIO last time I've got an
> impression of ongoing heavy development. That's why there's no [afio] in
> the title of this message.

There has been almost no new code since it entered the review queue
last October. What was done was a very substantial *reorganisation*
to fit modular Boost so it would behave as any other Boost submodule.
That took weeks :( and probably appeared as if there was heavy
development when in fact no new code was written.

The engine is currently at v1.22, and the v1.2x engine will be the
last to support VS2010. v1.3 will use the new
concurrent_unordered_map I just recently finished, and the new
no-alloc future-promise I am just about to start work upon. I am
hoping this new v1.3 engine will reduce average op latency from 75
microseconds (~300,000 cycles) by a factor of 10, with a bit of luck
by a factor of 20 down to about 15,000 cycles average. Moreover,
there will be no memory allocation and deallocation at all in the
v1.3 engine, which would be neat.

However, as you're ready to review manage now, and the v1.3 engine is
likely to not arrive before the end of 2014, please do look through
the docs now relocated to http://boostgsoc13.github.io/boost.afio/. I
have made some improvements based on what Robert said about them. If
you think the library is ready for review now, do let me know.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/