Subject: Re: [boost] [process] [sorting] [singularity] [compute] [others] Who needs review manager?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-13 17:26:45

Andrey Semashev-2 wrote
> On Saturday 13 September 2014 13:25:30 Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if perhaps you've got confused about the differing roles
>> of review manager vs reviewer. IRC a review manager doesn't review
>> libraries himself, he reviews the reviews of others, weighs them and
>> arrives at a acceptance/rejection.
>
> I don't think there is a rule on this. The review manager is free in
> choosing
> means to form an opinion of the library, including reviewing it himself.
> In
> fact, I'd say, the review manager is expected to acquaint himself with the
> library to form educated opinion.

I looked at http://www.boost.org/community/reviews.html and it describes
the duties of the review manager and reviewers a as separate roles. On
the other hand, it doesn't specifically proscribe one person performing
both roles in the same review. So technically you might be correct. But
in 12 years of being associated with boost, I've never seen this happen.
(not that It might have - I can't watch everything). And I believe that
there is a good reason for not mixing these roles. There fundamentally
different - one is to advocate for a position while the other is to weigh
the differing opinions and select the best representation of a consensus.
It's very similar to the legal system in English speaking countries and
though I wasn't around when it was invented, I'm doubting that it's a
coincidence.

But maybe we can avoid having to resolve this now. If you add reviews
to these libraries in the Boost Incubator, you might be in a position to
encourage other people to add their own reviews. With enough reviews
ready, the job of review manager will likely be easy to fill. So lets
start with this.

Robert Ramey