Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Are modular releases a goal or a non-goal?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-18 04:36:13

On 18 Sep 2014 at 9:25, Stephen Kelly wrote:

> >> And I get all of it. There are no separate 'modular Boost' tarballs so
> >> that I can download what I want and not what I don't.
> >>
> >> Is something similar to this a goal or a non-goal for 'Boost
> >> modularization'?
> >
> > I have begun weekend work as I said I would on my clang AST parser
> > based C++11-STL-to-Boost bindings generator.
>
> It's an interesting announcement but this thread seems a strange place for
> it, as you didn't directly address the thread topic.

No point in announcing something which isn't finished. But it was
germane to your point, so I mentioned it. I'm annoying with having to
download and build all of Boost every single bloody time I want some
small bit of header only Boost for some task, and it wastes enough of
my productivity I am willing to personally invest in making it go
away permanently.

> But, I guess you're saying 'for me it's a non-goal'.

No, rather it's a goal for me for the best maintained C++ 11/14
capable header-only Boost libraries - the ones with maintainers
active enough that I suspect they will reuse my tooling to achieve
standalone C++ 11 only usefulness on their own, I just need to put
the tooling there and they'll do the rest themselves as I am sure my
Boost pain is not unique. The rest of libraries and the other legacy
cruft, as everyone knows, in my opinion need to be put out to pasture
and gracefully deprecated. Growth ~= creative destruction.

Properly modularising all of Boost is an enormous undertaking, even
with a full time developer exclusively working on it it would take at
least a year and lots of library maintainers would see breakage, so
it would be unpopular too. Personally, I think it's a non-starter,
and the lack of decisive leadership on this issue merely delays the
inevitable to the detriment of all.

So I'm pressing ahead with my own solution - I specifically want
single git submodule dependencies, so when I throw together a Boost
using project I merely need to submodule a single Boost git submodule
and it just works with no arsing around with bootstrapping or config
or staging. When it's usable, I'm sure you'll hear from me here.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/