Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] What is a module? What is a sub-module?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-23 14:17:02

Vicente Botet wrote
> Hi all,
>
> After the long threads concerning the modularization it seems clear to
> me that we are in an impasse.

I agree with this. It just takes more work. I would like to broaden the
discussion a little.

I was looking searching for John Lakos' email address in order to ask him to
offer
his insights into the discussion. I'm not able to find it (of course,
thanks spammers) but
surely someone here knows how to send him such an invitation. John attended
BoostCon and CPPCon as a speaker and has writing the canonical reference on
this
subject. Growing Boost to 500 libraries would likely be the largest
challenge ever
to ideas about how to organized large, de-coupled libraries of code.

I've looking around a little. and found:

https://github.com/bloomberg/bde/wiki/Physical-Code-Organization

which is a little helpful.

I believe that we're having difficulties because we haven't stepped back
enough.

To lot's of people it's a simple matter - elimination cycles, simplifying
dependency graphs,
etc. But I think it's bigger than that. I think it will impact Boost
coding standards, our deployment
our testing model, deprecation, library overlap, and who knows what else.
These kinds of changes are always disruptive and I would like to spend a
little extra effort to try to get this closer to
being right.

Robert Ramey