Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] What is a module? What is a sub-module?
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-09-24 13:31:48

On 09/24/2014 05:11 PM, Rob Stewart wrote:
> On September 24, 2014 5:25:26 AM EDT, "Thijs (M.A.) van den Berg" <thijs_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:07 AM, Rob Stewart <robertstewart_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On September 23, 2014 12:54:28 PM EDT, "Bjørn Roald"
>> <bjorn_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> If you still think there's something to a library that isn't part of
>> a module, please explain. So far, they appear to be synonyms to me.
>>
>> Maybe rgis?
>
> I don't understand that.
>
>> I can imagine one could have libraries that depends on well-defined
>> *parts* of other libraries (but not all of it), and that those parts
>> can be called modules.

exactly.

>> One would not call such a part a library -and
>> also not list it on the public website as a boost library- because its
>> functionality to specific / narrow. For developers is should have a
>> clear identity and not break dependent libraries when refactoring.
>
> Why wouldn't you refer to such things as sublibraries?

We may, that was my initial suggestion in this thread, then I have tried
to discuss if it would be simpler just to call them modules, and define
that a boost library contain one or more modules. In some ways I think
that is simpler, but I am not sure it is clearer or more natural.

One problem with "Boost sub-library" is that it is deemed to trigger
questions of whether they have separate maintainers, have been
separately peer-reviewed etc. While a boost module is simply a
structured part of a boost library.

--
Bjørn