Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Incubator Status Report
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-06 16:31:03

Felix Uhl wrote
> That’s how I understood it, but from my - admittedly sparse - experience,
> the mailing list
> is an excellent place for feedback, because it is guaranteed that quite a
> few people
> will actually get the message.
>
> When I have my library ready for submission to the incubator, how is
> anyone going
> to notice it? Are enough people subscribed to the feeds that a library
> gets more
> attention than in the mailing list, or at least attention from different
> groups of people?

a perennial problem. Note that if you search "Safe Numerics" you'll find
the first link goes to the incubator so it is being indexed. However,
googling
Safe Integer doesn't get you there so it boils down to the same problem
that any web site has in getting the right people.

> It seems like the most fundamental element of the incubator is
> a dedicated community that is willing to participate, to test and
> review. And it is clearly missing exactly that.

Of course. But this problem isn't unique to the incubator. At boost
we've always been concerned about the very small numbers of
people who are willing to invest the effort to participate. Can you
believe that we've had reviews where only two people in the
entire world posted reviews? It's true! I've tried to help
by making it more convenient to post a review. I'm hoping that
will help - but we can always use more ideas (as long as I don't
have to implement them.)

I Am incrementally extending the incubator to add functionality which
I believe will be helpful.

I am also going to set aside time to recruit developers of existing
libraries to add them to the incubator (basically it's just filling out
a form). You'd think that at least THAT would be easy. But when
you start looking at all the C++ libraries in github - you find that
only about 3% meet the (very low) bar of requirements for inclusion
into the incubator. Basically this is the existence of browsable
documentation and tests.

If anyone happens upon a library which you think is a good one
and that library meets the minimum requirements for the
incubator - encourage them to submit it.

Robert Ramey