Subject: Re: [boost] How do I authenticate myself?
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-14 08:48:13

Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2014 10:55:36 Felix Uhl wrote:
>> I want to clone the current develop branch
>>
>> to verify that a bugfix to a trac item I opened
>>
>> does actually fix the bug.
>>

>> It seems like this information should be easy
>>
>> to find on the boost webpage or wiki, but neither
>>
>> of both explain how to authenticate myself
>>
>> when using “git clone --recursive git@
>>
>> github.com:boostorg/boost.git modular-boost >clone.log”.
>>
>> The output of this is “Permission denied (publickey)”,
>>
>> which seems to mean to me that I need a
>>
>> ssh key the server actually knows about or that I have
>>
>> to upload my public key somehow.
>>

>> Have I just missed something on the wiki?
> As Boost is hosted on GitHub, all the options it offers also work with Boost.
> See here:
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/which-remote-url-should-i-use/
>
> Note that you can have anonymous read-only access if you change the URL a
> little:
>
> git://github.com/boostorg/boost.git
>
> That should probably be mentioned in the docs.

FYI, instead of preparing a patch and attaching it to a bug report you
could consider working directly on the development version of a library
and propose a pull request with the fix on GitHub. Here is a tutorial
showing how this could be done:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/wiki/Contribution-Tutorial
It was made for Geometry but the procedure looks the same for any other
library.

Regards,
Adam