Subject: Re: [boost] Boost config macros for 'override' and 'final'?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-17 11:20:02

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Nat Goodspeed <nat_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM, Nat Goodspeed <nat_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > I don't find in Boost 1.57 any Boost macros to mediate use of the
> > 'override' or 'final' C++11 specifiers. Would that be a reasonable
> > addition?
>
> Okay, my question was badly phrased. I do see BOOST_NO_CXX11_FINAL.
>
> What I meant was: should there be (e.g.) BOOST_FINAL that
> conditionally expands to 'final' and BOOST_OVERRIDE that conditionally
> expands to 'override'?

We usually add config macros only if a boost library developer actually
needs them. In other words, we don't add a macro just on speculation. I
suppose we might add a macro even if no one has asked for it if it was
something we wanted to encourage boost developers to use.

On the other hand, maybe we should give more consideration to the general
usefulness of a proposed macro by boost users. In those cases maybe we
could hold mini-votes. Something like if it gets 5 plus votes and no minus
votes, we will accept a pull request assuming it is complete and ready to
merge.

John, any thoughts on something like that?

--Beman