Subject: Re: [boost] Boost config macros for 'override' and 'final'?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-17 12:06:50

Beman Dawes wrote
> We usually add config macros only if a boost library developer actually
> needs them. In other words, we don't add a macro just on speculation. I
> suppose we might add a macro even if no one has asked for it if it was
> something we wanted to encourage boost developers to use.

Might we consider adding a set of macros each time a new C++ version is
released
which includes all the new features?

Take the serialization library - there is value in keeping it C++03
compatible and
I would like to have macros available to keep it that way even as C++
evolves.

On the other hand, I have no problem with my experiment safe numerics
library
using the latest/greatest C++ features as the library hasn't been
"released".
So I can just have it fail to compile if C++ version is less than 11.

In fact, maybe all we need is a macro - if we don't already have it - C++
version.
BOOST_CPP_VERSION. The feature by feature macros are useful, but less
critical than before when we had a lot more variation between compilers.

Robert Ramey