Subject: Re: [boost] [library-incubator] Ease commenting (Was: [safe_numerics] questioning the basic idea)
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-18 15:55:56

Felix Uhl wrote
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>
>> This means that Andrzej should post a comment and the rest of you should
>
>> I realize that is is sort of pain, but, again, I would be very helpful to
>> me
>> to test the idea of building and maintaining a libraries comment history
>> in
>> an permanent convenient place.
>
> Have you thought about using the boost developers and users mailing list
> get comments posted on bli?
> You could just run a script on a webserver that polls emails in the
> mailinglist
> and filters out those with a tag that contains the name of a library on
> the incubator in the title,
> which it then posts under said library as an anonymous comment, or a
> comment
> under the name of the poster, if he gives his ok in the mail (not the
> title)
> with a tag like [PostMyName] or [Name=”Pseudonym”].
> The idea is to make commenting easier and less awkward by embedding it in
> the
> commenting and discussion framework boost developers and users already
> use,
> the mailing list.

I've considered it - though not in as much detail as you have. And I
understand
the motivation but this would require a lot of work. Making it work smoothly
with the current native comment system would be a lot of work and probably
maintenance. So that wouldn't be in the cards for some time - if ever.

The current comment system is (I believe) well suited to those C++
programmers
which do not use the boost dev list.

actually, another option would be a button which says "show comments on this
library from the boost developer's list". A hack, but more doable.

again, I'm hoping that the incubator evolves into the go to place for
commenting
on prospective libraries. This would save the comments in a good place and
"de-clutter" the boost developer's list a little bit.

Robert Ramey