Subject: Re: [boost] [safe_numerics] questioning the basic idea
From: David Stone (david_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-18 19:57:16

This is an issue that is especially important to me, as I have written a
library that also has the goal of making integer arithmetic safe: the
bounded::integer library: http://doublewise.net/c++/bounded/ . I presented
this library at C++Now 2014 this year. It has a different philosophy from
the checked integer type that you described. It instead has compile-time
min and max bounds on each integer type, and the goal is to replace all
uses of built-in integer types. The result of the arithmetic operators is a
new type that is able to hold any result of the operation (so
bounded::integer<1, 10> + bounded::integer<4, 7> == bounded::integer<5,
17>).