Subject: [boost] Do we need BoostBook?
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-05 17:31:26

Hi,

I've noticed that Boost.Build documentation, created with BoostBook, explicitly sets a small, and IMO unreadable, font, so I went
to fix that, and some other things, as shown at:

        http://goo.gl/VWYh2P

However, after a few easy tweaks, I'm stuck at the fact that BoostBook/DocBook produces fairly old-fashioned HTML. For example,
the Boost logo at top is actually a table, and the "tip" block is also a table, which makes tweaking the layout with CSS
quite a bit more complex. Also, some of the conceptually trivial things, like putting some front matter in index.html,
appear to require XSLT customization.

As heretic as it sounds, do we get any benefits from BoostBook? It's a complex vocabulary, with complex toolchain,
and while PDF generation sounded nice 10 years ago, printing HTML into PDF is a viable option these days - and nobody
would want to print entire Boost documentation anyway?

Thoughts?

--
Vladimir Prus
CodeSourcery / Mentor Embedded