Subject: Re: [boost] Do we need BoostBook?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-06 14:33:36

Michael Caisse-3 wrote
> FWIW, and I believe this has been mentioned many times before, I doubt
> that the Boost.Serialization method will catch on. It is very hard to
> help people on IRC (for example) with Serialization questions. The
> documentation's frame-driven menu system makes it very difficult to
> paste a URL. The address bar in the browser just continues to point at
> index.html.
>
> It is a real pain!

Hmmm - I never thought these downsides outweighed the benefit
from the easy navigation. I almost never get any complaint about this.
Boost streams uses a similar idea but I believe it implements differently.
Does this have the same problem?

So I like the ease of navigation, but I don't like the fact URL in
the navigation bar doesn't point to the page one is looking at. At one
point I did look into the possibility of creating a "Boost Documentation
Navigator" which would be automatically created from the BoostBook
documentation. It looked feasible but too much work. The whole
issue of library documentation is a sore spot for me.

Robert Ramey