Subject: Re: [boost] Do we need BoostBook?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-07 08:05:29

OK - is that an offer to show how a Boost library in Quickbook can be
re-factored in this system?

I presume we can have *Live* Code snippets, indexing, Doxygen, graphics,
equations, etc.

Do we have a body of people with experience using Sphinx? Looks fine but new to
me :-(

> Printing is not such an issue any longer.

It's still nice to be able to print a single page? (especially from ones
handheld device to a nearby cloud printer).

> My issue is that the current Boost documentation is unreadable on handheld
devices!

I dispute this - I've just tried Boost.Math both HTML and PDF on a Moto G and
while I wouldn't want to read too much, and navigation isn't wonderful, you can
get to a page and read it to check on a detail, and view the pictures. I've
also read the html and pdf version on an iPad and it is possible.

Are you considering the *size* of the documentation? All the examples I've
scanned in https://readthedocs.org/ seem fairly small compared to many Boost
libraries. I think the issue of size is a reason for disagreements about the
best choice of documentation preparation systems. Above a few pages (when you
can scan the whole lot), finding what you want to know becomes a serious problem
- and one that we (including Google) haven't really cracked yet. So we need to
give users all the help we can with hyperlinking and indexing.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse