Subject: Re: [boost] bpm added to tools/bpm on develop
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-09 10:00:45

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I've added bpm, the Boost Package Manager, to tools/bpm on develop. To build
> it, do
>
> b2 tools/bpm/build//install
>
> at the Boost root and b2 will build bpm with the default toolset and place
> it in dist/bin.

Using VC++ 2015 Preview, on a VirtualBox virtual machine running
Windows 10 Preview, there were a few warnings. See attached.

Several were the new warning C4456: declaration of 'whatever' hides
previous local declaration. I have run into this warning a lot in my
own code, and have decided that it were worth clearing as gratuitous
reuse of names was confusing when I was coming back to code I hadn't
looked at in a long time.

> To try it out, first you might want to review the fs_remove_all function in
> fs.cpp, or use a drive or filesystem that does not hold valuable files, :-)
> then make an empty directory, copy bpm(.exe) there, make a text file
> bpm.conf with the following line:
>
> package_path=http://www.pdimov.com/tmp/pkg-develop-1612497/
>
> then do f.ex. "bpm install filesystem".

First try I got "bpm: invalid package_path '' in bpm.conf"

I had done a copy-and-paste from your message, and had inadvertently
picked up three leading spaces. Once those were removed, the install
ran without problems.

That caused me to wonder if comments were supported, so I added the
line "# this is a test" followed by an empty line. "bpm install timer"
ran OK, so I guess you anticipated the need for bpm.conf to support
comments:-)

A couple of the timer install messages stood out:

"bpm: installing module 'math'". Ouch! math is big. I guess it is a
dependency of chrono. That isn't a bpm problem of course, so I'll post
a separate message about that.

"bpm: installing module 'numeric~conversion'" Note the '~'. Would it
be a better reflection of conversion being in a sub-directory of
numeric if it were a '/'?

That's all for now. For alpha level code, the experience so far has
been remarkably smooth!

--Beman