Subject: Re: [boost] [chrono] Dependency on math?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-09 11:41:30

alex wrote:
> As I understand it, if library X depends on library Y and Y depends on Z,
> then X is said to depend on Z. I can understand as packages are created
> based on the library dependency graph:
>
> [ To package X we must package all libraries on which X depends.]
>
> However, the reality is that the file-dependencies of X do not necessarily
> include Z. Why would you not package only the files upon which the desired
> library depends?

Because the package for X only contains X's files, not its dependencies. If
X depends on a file from Y, then Y's package must be installed to get Y's
file. And since Y is now installed, if it requires building, Z needs to be
installed as well; but even if it doesn't require building, having Y
installed but unusable is not good from usability point of view.