Subject: Re: [boost] [chrono] Dependency on math?
From: alex (alexhighviz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-12 05:58:16

>> From your responses I gather that resolving dependencies at file level
>> would cause too many complications for built libraries but not so for
>> header-only libraries. Why not at least take advantage of the header-only
status
>> of a large number of libraries? I suppose this would create an incentive
>> split existing libraries into a built and header-only library, but that
is
>> not so bad is it?
>
>That's a nice first step, but even then you're relying on library
maintainers to
>remember yet another thing to update, and that for an infrequent state
>change.
>___
>Rob

Thanks for clearing it up for me. My conclusion is that there is scope for
reducing dependencies by being more selective in deciding what libraries to
install. However, there are minor complications for header-only libraries
and major complications for built libraries. I find this relevant because
some of the current efforts to reduce dependencies seem problematic too.