Subject: Re: [boost] Testing and toolsets
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-19 11:14:10

Andrey Semashev-2 wrote
> AFAIK, there is no formal property of a toolset that would differentiate
> testers between C++ versions. You basically rely on toolset names.

When I run tests on my local system with gcc or clang I use the compile
time switch -std=c++03 or -std=c++11 on my bjam command line which
gets passed on to the gcc/clang command line. I started doing this when
it occurred to me that I didn't no which version of C++ my library was
being tested with. I still don't know what happens if you include no
such switch at all.

Many testers are including this information on the test properties page
others are either not including the information or are not specifying
in which case it's a mystery what version of the compiler is being used.

In my test programs - I use boost config macros to detect and run/not
run those parts of the test programs which are relevant to this or that
compiler version.

I would like a method to condition an entire test program on the value
of a boost config macro. I realize that this is a pain and god forbid I
have to make my bjam script even more complex than it is or have
to remember some more boost build syntax/rules. So far I've been
able to avoid needing this.

> Unfortunately, some testers reflect C++ version in the tester name rather
> than
> the toolset, and I don't think there's a way to use the tester name in the
> markup table. I would kindly ask those testers to change their settings.

+1
a very easy, convenient and expedient fix. I'm sure the testers will
accomodate a polite request to do this. I might add that I'd like to
see all tests use an explicit -std=C++.. switch.

> If you just want to see the tester description you can read it through the
> link which is the tester name in the matrix. Some testers provide more
> detailed info there.

I would also like to see more information there.