Subject: Re: [boost] [config] [regression] Regression test failures due to compiler bugs -- your advice needed
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-21 15:56:16

Andrzej Krzemienski wrote:
> > On the doc page, you state that these bugs are present in all MSVC
> > versions, but on the tests page, I only see one failure, with msvc-10.0,
> > everything else is green (or, in some cases, missing.)
>
> You are right. I need to check if I didn't loose some tests. But back to
> my original request, did what I say makes sense?

I'd like to know more about what is failing where before I venture an
opinion about your original request.

An optional<T&> that fails silently for certain T's in a quite insidious way
on a wide array of popular compilers, including all versions of MSVC, should
perhaps be disabled for those T's outright, instead of the failures being
marked. Users do not consult the markup when using optional<> and even if
they did, optional<int const&> is most likely to occur in generic code, not
on its own. This will result in some very hard to track bugs.