Subject: Re: [boost] [config] [regression] Regression test failures due to compiler bugs -- your advice needed
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-21 16:09:06

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Andrzej Krzemienski
<akrzemi1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I need the advice from the experts, on what is the recommended way to
> handle the following situation with regression tests.
>
> A number of tests of Boost.Optional fail.
> These are the failures in optional<T&> (optional references), because quite
> a lot of compilers implement reference binding in a non-standard-conforming
> manner.
>
> The question is, how these testing failures should be reflected in
> regression testing configuration, so that they do not appear as bugs in the
> implementation of Boost.Optional?

I don't think there is an official guideline about this. The
traditional way of handling this is to mark the tests as expected
failures with an appropriate comment. But since you can't do this,
your only option is to leave them as is, I suppose. At least everyone
will be able to see that a certain compiler does not handle certain
cases covered by tests.

Using Boost.Config based checks to run the tests, I think, is aiming a
different purpose. I didn't use it in my tests but my understanding is
that it allows to set preconditions for the test to build and run. If
those preconditions are not met, the test is not built (i.e. excluded
from the matrix) or can be built differently. It's more like a
configure script, which can be used to adjust the build depending on
what the compiler supports. I think, there is a limited set of checks
provided by Boost.Config, which is probably similar to those features
it provide macros for.

Of course, you can write your own checks, similar to Boost.Config,
which will test the compiler for the features you need. That'll
require a certain amount of Boost.Build knowledge.

Whichever approach you choose, it is a good idea to reflect in the
docs what compilers don't support optional references, if it's not
done yet.