Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Boost.Endian mini-review
From: Philip Bennefall (philip_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-23 16:26:06

Hi all,

This is my first time reviewing a Boost library, so I figured a
mini-review might be a good place to start.

I did not look at the library during the formal review, so I am
approaching it as a new user. I have read through the documentation and
parts of the reference, and I think it looks good. The documentation
does a good job of explaining the pros and cons of the three usage
patterns, and I am happy with the performance measurements. I also
looked through the source, and was pleasantly surprised to see the
modest dependency list. That's a deal-breaker for me when deciding which
Boost libraries to use.

One thing I was not quite clear on is, what features are disabled in
C++03 mode? Can this be clarified a little?

I was happy to find the support for unaligned types with byte sizes
other than 1, 2, 4 and 8. This, in combination with dynamic_bitset,
would have been very useful when I implemented a MIDI file parser a
little while ago.

In my view, an endianness library should have been in Boost 10 years
ago. I vote for acceptance.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall