Subject: Re: [boost] Merge procedure to master (was: Release sponsorship (was: Re: Boost 1.58 schedule available?))
From: Olaf van der Spek (ml_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-01-23 18:36:32

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Which is why I merge to master sooner rather than later. Of course, there is
> no single optimal strategy. For core libraries, specifically, on the one
> hand, you can break the world if your master doesn't work, on the other,
> nobody else can merge to master if they depend on your changes being merged
> first.

Ideally such updates would be merged atomically, though that might be
rather difficult.

In theory it might work with something like Debian testing and
unstable package repositories. Updates are uploaded to unstable and
they only propagate to testing if the result in testing would be
'good'.
An updated (and breaking) core pkg wouldn't go into testing until all
packages depending on it have been updated too.

--
Olaf