Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Stephen Kelly (hello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-02 13:34:13

John Maddock wrote:

>>> The reason Stephen talks about splitting serialization is that adding
>>> serialization support needs only a few includes, independent of the
>>> rest of the library.
>
> That may well be true, however, if the answer to every issue is "split
> it up" then something else is very wrong.

I agree. I advocate against splitting and I advocate for merging some core
modules.

Splitting is the answer to *this* issue.

> It makes no sense to me to
> have multiple "micro-libraries" scattered over multiple repositories: no
> one will ever be able to find anything!
>
> As an aside: Multiprecision supports serialization, but without
> including any of that library's headers - rather it just provides the
> interface that the Serialization lib expects. While the magic-macros
> that Serialization provides to simplify providing support are useful for
> quick and dirty prototyping of code, I suspect that many (most, all?) of
> these dependencies could be removed by writing real code instead. So
> perhaps this is more a question of documentation in the Serialization
> lib, and officially-blessing interoperability via code, as well as the
> Serialization-provided macros?

Or splitting off a proper interface for those libraries to implement.

> None of which is relevant to the common_type issue BTW.

Right. This started because I pointed out that serialization is not a
general 'library X library Y' problem which you suggested in a previous
email.

Thanks,

Steve.