Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-03 19:19:25

On 3 Feb 2015 at 23:11, Stephen Kelly wrote:

> The point is: either Boost is prepared for declaring 'this group of headers
> depends on that group' (and then taking advantage of the things that follow
> that declaration), or it is not.

I really wish people would stop thinking in terms of headers. I know
you don't, but for the others headers == source code.

Much much better is to think in terms of namespaces. What
_namespaces_ depend on which others ... if you map that, we're
getting somewhere.

(libclang makes that easy BTW)

> I tried to raise it as an issue anyway. Maybe in a year something will
> change. It took a long time for anyone in this community to take any notice
> of the concept of modularity at all, but now there seem to be a few people
> who get it. That took many many months though... Why is that?

There has already been very significant progress in persuading people
to move psychologically on this. I'd even say 60% of the ground has
been covered. I'd suggest keep going.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting