Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-03 19:27:21

On 3 Feb 2015 at 15:26, Robert Ramey wrote:

> I've made a more concrete proposal. I believe that some variation of this
> could be made to work. I think it addresses the real problems that users
> face. In order for it to work, tools have to be improved and/or boost
> policies might need to be tweaked (perhaps a "no convenience headers"
> policy). There is just no way simply "splitting a library" is going to
> really address anything and move us forward.

That last statement is simply untrue Robert.

Have a look at
https://ci.nedprod.com/view/Boost.AFIO/job/Boost.AFIO%20Build/ where
the CI is now build testing all platforms for standalone use as well
as Boost use. Standalone = no Boost whatsoever.

So yes, splitting a library definitely can address a lot. I might add
that the standalone build is 2x-5x faster than the Boost build for
all unit tests. It's an enormous productivity, as well as convenience
and ease of install, boon. And it really ought to be considered as
the *recommended* future for all new and most existing Boost
libraries instead of being constantly dismissed out of hand.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/