Subject: Re: [boost] [type_traits] Rewrite and dependency free version
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-04 12:07:10

Paul A. Bristow-2 wrote
> I've kept out of these not-too-measured discussions so far, but I am
> feeling the same way as Nevin. The whole build and module system of C/C++
> is now very outdated. Work on C++ modules is proceeding, if slowly.
>
> The effect of C++Modules is likely to be very big (and the benefits big
> too). All our work reducing dependency could be in vain, or even make
> things worse. I am strongly opposed to making any more than trivial
> changes for some so-far illusory benefits.
>
> Please - let's wait until C++ modules are looking a bit more promising
> before we do anything more.

I certainly agree with this sentiment. But I am interested in the idea that
we could make relatively small changes which would help reduce dependencies.
I'm also interested in see how we can address the "bridge header" problem to
reduce dependencies. I think the tools that have been made provide
interesting and useful information. I would like to see them enhanced
somewhat. I actually believe that we can make a lot of improvement with
some carefully considered small changes. I guess we're "carefully
considering" those changes on this list.

Robert Ramey