Subject: [boost] [gsoc15] Queries about enhancement of vector and deque containers
From: Sandilya Jandhyala (jysandilya_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-03 12:03:23

Hello Boost,
My name is Sandilya Jandhyala. I'm a third year undergraduate student
pursuing Computer Science and Engineering at Amrita School of
Engineering, Bangalore, India. I'm interested in submitting a proposal
based on this idea. I have a few queries:

1. The programming test is to 'write a small vector-like container'. But
this is somewhat vague, since it's not clear what is meant by 'small'.
Does this mean that I only have to implement a subset of the
functionality/member functions of std::vector? If so, which subset? How
do I pick and choose? Or do I need to implement all the member
functions? It would be helpful if some expected functionality were
specified.
2. The entry on the ideas page hasn't specified how to submit the
programming test. I'm assuming that I should copy and paste my code into
the end of my proposal, as is specified for the other ideas. Is that
correct?
3. The test requires that push_back throws when the buffer is full. But
does this mean that the capacity is fixed? Can the capacity be increased
when elements are added using other methods like insert()?
4. Though I'm comfortable with C++, I'm not at all familiar with unit
testing or documentation tools. I'm willing to learn though. I've found
that there are a large number of unit testing frameworks available for
C++, and it's difficult to choose. Would you recommend any framework
over another for this project/programming test?
5. I would like to begin researching possible improvements/additions to
the vector and deque classes. What would be a good place to start?
Should I look at the standard libraries of other languages? Could you
point me to some resources I could study?

Thank you for reading my queries. Any other tips/suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.