Subject: Re: [boost] [Hana] Informal review request
From: Eric Niebler (eniebler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-08 16:41:02

On 3/8/2015 12:56 PM, pfultz2 wrote:

>> This might sound discouraging, but I consider any library that doesn't
>> work fully with GCC 4.9, Clang 3.5 and MSVC14, which are already
>> bleeding-edge compilers, to not be suitable for real use
>
> Its important to support more than one compiler, but, I think, it is
> perfectly
> acceptable if it doesn't support bug-ridden compilers such as MSVC. Boost is
> about pushing innovation in C++, and we can't let a compiler that is over
> half
> a decade behind the rest of the industry hold back that innovation.

This. MSVC is hopelessly behind, and we shouldn't let them pull the C++
community down any longer. Moving on. Boost has always had a tradition
of pushing the compiler vendors toward compliance. Any library that
compiles on two compilers has been acceptable in the past. I think
that's a good benchmark.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost.org