Subject: [boost] [rational] Can the community maintenance team and/or rational users please review some pull requests?
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-03-30 07:44:10

I have a bunch of PR's against Rational, which of course is basically
unmaintained. I'd be grateful if a second pair of eyes (at least) could
take a look before I start agitating for someone to merge them ;)

Each of the four, builds on the previous one(s).

Three are basically trivial:

https://github.com/boostorg/rational/pull/1/files
https://github.com/boostorg/rational/pull/2/files
https://github.com/boostorg/rational/pull/3/files

The final one is much more complex, and disables "accidental" conversion
from float to rational (which otherwise proceeds via truncation to
integer first).

As you can see from the commit history, I've had quite a few attempts at
getting the final one correct. I believe it is now, doesn't break
anything in Boost except, as noted in the discussion, Boost.Geometry,
which relies on an unsafe float to rational conversion - Geometry's
authors are aware of the issue here:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/commit/c992eb61e8ef9e90fdae403ac6ff1eea12297291.

So.... I'm interested in both eyeball-look-throughs from seasoned
Boosters, but also feedback from Rational's users, and verification that
it doesn't break end user code - other than unsafe conversions of
course. If you just want the updated header to test, you can grab it
from here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jzmaddock/rational/no-float-convert/include/boost/rational.hpp

Many thanks! John.