Subject: Re: [boost] questions regarding GCC visibility
From: Rob Stewart (rob.stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-01 04:53:25

On March 31, 2015 9:48:09 PM EDT, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I made a few changes to simplify code in the serialization library.
[snip]
> In the course of this effort, I had
> occasion to
> simplify the code which supports Auto linking - and by extension
> visibility.
> Things seemed to go pretty well. Feeling frisky, I added the switch
> -fvisibility=hidden to the gcc compile of library. Now applications
> won't
> link for lack of certain symbols. Well, they link and run fin on my
> machine
> here at home- but fail in the test matrix.
[snip]
> Funny thing is:
> doesn't seem to be a problem on my machine
> doesn't seem to occur with all exported symbols - only select ones -
> often but not always desctructors
[snip]
> Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

I haven't looked at the source, but I'll mention a few things that may be helpful. Default visibility can be set on an entire class or on individual member functions. Compiler generated special member functions will be hidden if the class is hidden. Types for which RTTI is needed should have default visibility, as should exception types.

Does your local build succeed after cleaning all build artifacts?

___
Rob