Subject: [boost] [Boost Document Library] Which SDK / OS to use for development?
From: Abhinav Tripathi (ee130002001_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-09 15:20:49

I am trying to start the development of a Document Library for Boost which
was listed under the GSoC projects list.
I successfully built Boost 1.57 on windows 8 with MinGW using some help
from this mailing list.
Now, i wish to develop the library on windows only (Although i can shift to
linux if need be).... When i went through the links provided on the ideas
list, i came across following things :
--The OpenOffice SDK asks to either use linux or Visual Studio on Windows
and there is practically nothing (documentation) for compiling with MinGW.
--The LibreOffice SDK also asks to install many *nix tools first and also
doesn't mention anything about compatibility with MinGW.
--The last 2 links use .NET and some other MS libraries which i am pretty
sure won't be much portable...
.
I wish to develop the library so as to get it accepted to Boost at some
point. I assume that Boost would accept only cross platform code, so i
discarded the last two links.
I am now in a dilemma..... Which of the 2 SDK should i try to use on
Windows with MinGW.. Or should i NOT develop on windows and shift to
linux...
.
Also, The MS Office formats are not open but other office formats might be
open and hence i can also try and develop something without using any of
the available SDKs. So, instead of developing of a wrapper, i can aim to
develop a complete library to load and manipulate document files...
.
Please suggest some option and show me a way as to which SDK/Platform
should i use. And how to continue the development for the Document Library.
.
Regards,
Abhinav