Subject: Re: [boost] Git tags and Boost release
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-12 15:48:25

On 8 Apr 2015 at 16:02, Robert Ramey wrote:

> I'm wondering if we want to do this upon release so we can remember where we
> were when something blows up. Ideally, I'd like the release managers to be
> able to just global to the "mark" when the release is "official"
>
> I like git - but anything I haven't done before is out of my comfort zone.
> So any insight would be appreciated.

I use tags for a "known point" release mainly because github
automatically makes them available for download. Though, very
annoyingly, github won't include an export of any submodules in its
tarball, so such github automated tarballs are quite useless :(

I have my Jenkins CI use git notes to mark a "last known building"
combination of super projects and git sub projects. Once some
combination builds, it deletes the notes on the branches of the
projects and recreates them with the working SHAs. This lets
automated tools more easily check out some given combination of git
repos.

Some may observe that that is surely the point of the git
superproject submodule SHAs, so why aren't I using branches in the
superproject to SHA stamp the CI verified combos? The reason why not
is because I have found TortoiseGit in particular will corrupt SHA
stamps with older SHAs on a commit, thus ruining the stamp. Using git
notes I have scripts check when this has happened, and fix it
automatically.

I also have turned on the submodule branch tracking feature in git,
so when you do:

git submodule update –remote

... git will auto checkout the submodules to be the latest on the
branch you configure in .gitmodules. This prevents that annoying
detached head submodule checkout git does by default.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/