Subject: Re: [boost] [boost, config, context, log, 1.58] address-model and architecture detection
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-24 12:14:31

On 04/24/2015 11:58 AM, Klaim - Joël Lamotte wrote:
>> So why is Boost special?
>> >

> Boost don't have a way to identify if the binaries are 64 or 32bits.
> That's really the core root of the problem
> and would easily be fixed with any convention.
> Location don't help if the build system
> of the library don't enforce that location convention, so that tool knows
> where is what.
> As soon as it is provided, it will be easy to fix the CMake module
> or any tool that try to identify from a boost install.
>
> I also gave other details on the issue in the trac ticket
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/10141

Right, Boost does not have a way to identify whether binaries are 32-bit or 64-bit,
but most other C++ libraries don't have either, so it should present the same
problems for users, and build tools. The only difference for Boost is that it
tries to solve this problem for some other variations, so you can reasonably
claim that it's easier for Boost to handle bitness that it would be for random
other project?

--
Vladimir Prus
CodeSourcery / Mentor Embedded