Subject: Re: [boost] [boost, config, context, log, 1.58] address-model and architecture detection
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-24 12:39:31

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Right, Boost does not have a way to identify whether binaries are 32-bit
> or 64-bit, but most other C++ libraries don't have either, so it should
> present the same problems for users, and build tools.

The minimum acceptable standard would be for

    b2 address-model=32,64 stage

to work under Windows. Whether this is done via separate directories or
separate names is up to us; so far people seem to prefer separate
directories, but either way is good enough. Typically, separate directories
are more convenient because one only needs to change the library path to
switch between 32/64; separate names however are more convenient when
autolinking, in which case nothing needs to change, and we already encode
build settings into the name on Windows.