Subject: Re: [boost] [Master project] Switch from Trac to another Bug-tracking-system
From: Deniz Bahadir (dbahadir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-24 05:46:59

>>> I would pretty much recommend, you consider migrating from Trac to
>>> another (more modern) bug-tracking system that is more responsive and
>>> has less problems with modern browsers.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> +1
>>
>> [...]
>
> Don't forget that many (good?) libraries use release notes and history that link to Trac #numbers to
> record bugs and fixes and enhancements.
>
> Any new system must continue to provide access the information that these provide.
> This might be achieved by keeping Trac going (forever?) Conversion sounds non-trivial?
>
> Any new system also needs to provide an equivalent mechanism to link to bug fix info.

As long as the release-notes only mention the issue #numbers, it should
be enough to make sure, that the new ticket-system assigns the same
ticket-numbers to the converted tickets. Probably, this should be
possible (as long as the new ticket-system supports migration from Trac,
which is a prerequisite anyway).
For Redmine I found a wiki-article about migration from Trac to Redmine,
which states that ticket numbers stay the same (if the Redmine-database
is empty prior to migration). [1]

For the case that some release-notes have direct web-links to Trac, not
only issue-numbers, the domain "svn.boost.org/trac/" should still be
available and automatically forward the browser to the corresponding
address of the new ticket-system. For example (if using Redmine as new
ticket-system):

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/11224 --->
https://redmine.boost.org/issues/11224

To be honest, I have not used too many different ticket-systems myself.
However, as you might have noticed, I have some experience in working
with Redmine and my impression is, that it would be a big improvement to
using Trac and that a migration and database conversion from Trac to
Redmine would be possible.

Deniz