Subject: Re: [boost] [Master project] Switch from Trac to another Bug-tracking-system
From: Jorge Cardoso Leitão (jorgecarleitao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-25 05:26:48

I would like to point out that Django project had this same question posed
in 2012.

At the time they decided to keep using trac, as Github did not provided
enough functionality.

The critical conclusion from the core team is summarised here:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-developers/eDzFycvjPJo/j42FGl07z-kJ;
the main arguments are presented below.

Regards,
Jorge

Aymeric wrote:
"""
I just looked at it again and here's what I noticed:
- there is no workflow, so we lose the ability for the community to
triage tickets;
- we can't upload patches (which forces every contributor to sign up for
GitHub and learn git) or arbitrary files (like logs, screenshots,
tracebacks: not everything is a pull request);
- there isn't a notion of "component", so there's no way to ask "give me
the list of all contrib.auth tickets, so I can find the duplicate quickly";
- we can't put customized flags on tickets (easy, ui/ux) -- there are
tags, but the result of the "Keywords" field in Trac shows the limits of
unstructured tags;
- it's hard to navigate when there are more than 200 open tickets on a
project.
"""

Justin Bronn wrote:
"""
GitHub's issue tracker is so much worse than Trac I don't know why we're
even considering it. I can attest it has NOT gotten better with age,
and large projects on GitHub can't use it either. For example, both
Chef and Puppet are hosted on GitHub yet use their own ticket solutions
(Puppet uses Redmine, Chef uses Jira). The Pinax folks wrote their own
issue system rather than using GitHub's!
"""