Subject: Re: [boost] [Master project] Switch from Trac to another Bug-tracking-system
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-04-25 09:31:56

I tried a lot of these tools for different projects and through time I
learned that:

 - TRAC is clearly the most flexible of trackers, because of the custom
workflows.
    However it's one of the slowest, apparently less maintained and clearly
not up to date
    on the web-ui side of things.
 - RedMine is a better TRAC on all fronts except workflows are not as
flexible.
   That being said, it's not really optimized for high performance, but
it's certainly
    the best option when upgrading from TRAC and you don't want to lose
everyone.
   As pointed a few years ago, there have also been a fork of Redmine in
the past
   (I think it was unsuccessful) because of issues with the Redmine author
way of working which
   splitted the team at the time.
 - JIRA is very good too and apparenly scales better than RedMine.
    It might be a bit heavy on the UI though and my impressions on the
configurations were not
   stellar. Although it's still good. (Ogre3D team have been using it for
some time instead of mantis
    and seem very happy with it)
 - github and bitbucket: simple and integrated with their host, but really
simplist for big projects.
   Also I believe there are extensions to TRAC, JIRA and Redmine for
linking github/bitbucket with
   the tracker, so there is no good reason to use github tracker other than
when you don't want
    to manage/configure your tracker and your project is not that big.

I tried some others (Mantis, FlySpray, etc.) but I think they are not
relevant to boost.

Also noticed that some more-than-just-a-bug-tracker kinds of tools might be
interesting, in particular
if there is a change in how code reviews are done in the future of boost
libraries.
For example some big companies like Facebook uses Phabricator (
http://phabricator.org/)
that might be useful for a big library of libraries like Boost, or not.
I didn't try Phabricator yet so can't comment on it (other than their
website is quite humoristic).